Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My Kids Are Doing Nothing


I have three kids and this fall they are doing nothing in the way of sports. Why? Because I'm busy. We have community group that meets once a week, I'm President of a non-profit group, and I'm in MOPS. I really don't need to add sports to this mix, especially since my oldest is FOUR YEARS OLD!

And for some reason I'm being informed by my sisters that this makes me a bad mom. Oh of course they don't come right out and say bad mom. (because that would be rude and my family likes the passive aggressive approach) They are saying "but they need to do sports. They need to be part of a team and exercise. They will miss out on what all the other 3 and 4 year olds are doing. They'll be behind next year" Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah!

That's right, I'm getting crap from not putting my 4 and 3 year old in sports. And since when does every three and four year old do sports? Give me a break, we can skip a season of sports and really in my opinion skip a few years and we'll be just fine! I highly doubt that my daughter is going to miss out on getting a softball scholarship because she didn't play t-ball when she was 4.

My kids are doing nothing this fall and I love it! No rushing to get to t-ball practice during the week, no Saturday games, and no trying to figure out how I can be on two fields at once with multiple kids in sports. Leigh did t-ball last year and I can tell you that it was adorable but not a life alternating experience. I get my Saturdays this fall to spend time with my family, you know when we aren't going to birthday parties.

I cannot figure out why so many parents over schedule their kids. My sister in laws kid's schedule makes me tired just looking at it. They are doing 4 activities each this fall. (that's 4 kids in 4 activities) Someone has something everyday, multiple times a day. That would stress me out so much that I would have a nervous breakdown. But she loves it and somehow manages to make it work. I must have missed that life skill because I cannot handle that many balls in the air.

Now let me be clear, I was in sports all through school. I think they are very important, and that you learn valuable life skills by playing sports. I want my kids to play sports, just not this year when our schedule is already full. Because while I think sports are important, spending time together as a family is much more important. Having a mom who isn't stressed out is more important than sports too.

We are doing nothing this fall, and I proudly stand by my decision. I'm going to enjoy the time off, not to mention the extra money I'll have from skipping a season.

4 comments:

  1. Kids need a chance to be kids. They will benefit from opportunities for unstructured play. there is really NO reason for kids at such a young age to be involved in team sports. They just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so silly. there's still plenty of time!

    I've gotten crap for only having mine in one sport/activity this fall. But with three, it means we have practice four nights a week(one of the nights, having to find a way to be in two places at the same time). I can't add anything else until they are old enough to be there alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kid was an introvert and didn't do stuff like that. Neither did I, or my brother. My sister played ball, but she really liked it and wanted to, so she did. None of us felt neglected for it either.

    At 3 and 4? There is still PLENTY of time for all of that if they decide that it's something they're interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I completely agree that we overschedule our kids. We pass our feelings of inadequacy onto them and put them in every sport or dance or karate class or whatever so that we can make up for those feelings. I think all of that stuff is great, too, but in time. And not to the point stressing out everyone in the house, especially the children. Enjoy your relaxed fall season!

    ReplyDelete