Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wants Versus Needs

I got a great reminder yesterday from my husband in the form of my own words.

Doesn't it suck just a little when that happens?

We are in the process of declaring bankruptcy since we lost a lawsuit. I'll just take a little timeout to say how lame I think it is that anyone can sue you, even when said person is lying. And you lose when you cannot afford to defend yourself. To avoid payment all you have to do is file for bankruptcy. What a stupid system! But I'm glad we don't have to pay a company that owes us money $20,000 so I'll take the stupid system.

In order to file for bankruptcy, we need to be current on our mortgage. We are 3 months behind, which isn't too bad all things considered. We decided to sell my husband's truck since he doesn't really need it. We listed the truck for $7,800 and knew that it needed to sell fast, as in three weeks fast. We got an offer for $6,800 and I was bummed. But James wanted to take it.

The $6,800 would get us current on our mortgage and we would have some leftover to put into savings. That account we drained to pay our attorney and sadly has zero dollars in it. But I wanted what our truck was worth. And then James said this to me....

"You always say that God provides for our needs not our wants and that we need to understand the difference. Well the $6,800 will provide for our needs."

Damn that man is smart. He knew exactly what to say to get me on board. So last night we sold the truck and everything is on track so we can file. And my savings account is a few thousand dollars richer. And I'm not upset that we didn't get what we wanted, because we have what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment