Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Pour Your Heart Out-I Want to Punch my Father in law


This had been on my mind for a long time, but I want to punch my father in law in the face. Hard. Over and over again. I'm pretty sure my urge to hit the man that helped bring my husband into the world makes me a bad person but it's there all the same.

So before you judge me, I'll give you a little background on the situation.
My husband and his father had a business together. My father in law was a not so silent - silent partner. The business went south during our awesome economy and we had to close the business. James got another job but it was entry level. Instead of being proud of his son for getting a job, my FIL made snide comments about the job being beneath him.

Now it's been a year and James has another new job after being laid off from the "not good enough job". This new job has tons of potential down the road, but James will have to pay his dues for a year or so. We are both fine with this pay cut and job position since
  1. The economy still sucks and we are grateful for any job
  2. There is potential
  3. The job pays our bills, it doesn't pay anything else but it does pay the bills.
Now you would think that would be good enough for my FIL, but NO! He keeps making the snide comments. He thinks this job is a mistake and the James shouldn't have taken it. Instead he should be looking for something that is "respectable." And that I should get a job since I let James take a job that doesn't pay enough. (Because raising three kids and having a blog that brings in income isn't work) I guess supporting your family and paying the bills isn't respectable. You need lots of money for the extras in life to have value. Stupid me. Even dumber me for thinking that what I do at home has value.

Thankfully, James is just ignoring his dad and taking the high road. I'm trying, but I really want to knock him out some sense into him. As a mom of a little boy that will one day grow up and be a man, I'm so proud of the role model my husband is for him. Thomas gets to see first hand what it looks like when a man puts his pride aside and puts him family first. In my opinion, my husband is doing exactly what a man should do, he's supporting his family.

And here is the kicker-James loves his new job! He is happier at work than I've seen him in years. And I cannot figure out why his father cannot be proud of him like I am. Why can't he see past a job title and salary and see that James is happy? Why isn't James good enough for him just as he is? And about a million other questions that I'll never be able to get answered.
So that's it in a nutshell, I want to punch my FIL in the face. But I won't, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. How frustrating. I guess it's either punch him or ignore him.

    ReplyDelete